In this article I will share with you a small add-on I developed for one of my customers.
Let’s assume that you are an employee of a company that uses CRM with several currencies. Of course, you want to have actual information in your system and the currency exchange rates should be current. Microsoft CRM allows to have in your system one base currency and many other currencies. Every currency has an exchange rate field that is used for calculation of base fields of your currency fields but there is no out-of-box possibility to actualize exchange rates.
I have added to my CRM system several currencies:
Using my add-on you can keep your currency exchange rates up-to-date:
Using my add-on is simple:
1. Download solution:
2. Import it to CRM (If you download and import an unmanaged solution, you will have to publish the solution and activate workflow).
3. Open Settings – Sync Schedules (this is a custom entity that is part of the solution) and create a new Sync Schedule record, fill in the Next Execution DateTime field (for example midnight of your current day):
4. Run the Sync Currency Exchange Rates workflow against your Sync Schedule record that you’ve created in the previous step:
Wait till the workflow is executed and then go to the currencies to check that the currency exchange rates were updated:
Screenshot of a workflow I’ve designed follows. The logic of the workflow is really simple:
- Wait till the next execution date.
- Update Currency exchange rates.
- Update next execution date as current plus 1 day, which will invoke the recurrent execution of the workflow.
PS: I used http://www.webservicex.net/CurrencyConvertor.asmx webservice for getting the actual exchange rates.