Earlier this week public beta of Developer Toolkit was released. It became a great surprise because tool haven’t got any updates or improvement since SDK for Dynamics CRM 2013. Tool is available for download by this link.
Here is the list of new features I discovered during my check:
1. VS 2010 is not supported anymore. But VS 2012, 2013 and 2015 are supported:
2. Creation of new solution from VS (in previous version it was required to create solution in CRM and then point Developer Toolkit to that solution):
3. Possibility to choose which projects to add to solution during creation from “New Visual Studio Solution Template for Dynamics 365” with possibility to provide name for projects:
4. Generation of Early-Binding classes for entity/entities and action/actions from VS:
5. Creation of new Actions/Business Processes/Dialogs from VS:
6. Creation/editing of plugin steps got “Plugin Registration Tool” layout:
7. Creation of plugin to handle action “message” is available in VS:
8. Possibility to choose what components should be deployed to CRM Instance:
9. Installing/uninstalling of profiler and profiling of plugin’s steps and workflows from VS:
10. Debugging of plugin code directly from VS:
PS: after installation of Developer Toolkit during load of Visual Studio you can get following message:
To resolve that issue follow next steps:
- Download and install Dynamics 365 SDK.
- Point Dynamics 365 Developer Toolkit to required folders as it shown:
Hi, Andrii is it compatible with older version of CRM, 2011 2013, 2015
I haven’t checked it but I believe it should support at least 2013/2015/2016.
Wonderful article as always :).
Need help, How do we register the image here ?
Great question as well. I haven’t found any easy way. I will ask product team how to make it work.
Thanks Andrii 🙂
Any news on registering images? Completely blocked without this. Nice article though, thanks 😉
Unfortunately I haven’t seen any public information.
When I try to use the Debug, I just receive an error – PluginProfiler.Debugger.pdb symbols are missing. How can I get past this error?
I haven’t experienced that error. What version of Developer Toolkit do you use?
Dynamics 365 Developer Toolkit (the latest version)
Ok. I will try that tomorrow and get back to you.
I configured latest version of Dynamics 365 Developer Toolkit, created plugin, deployed it to Dynamics 365, turned on profiling, profiled execution, debugged and everything worked fine for me. Can you please describe step-by-step what you’ve done? May be you missed one of steps and that caused that issue you mentioned?
1. Place breakpoint in code.
2. Right-click on plugin entity class >> CRM Tools >> Debug
3. VS attempts to start plugin profiler then stops with error.
Have you profiled execution of plugin before you start debugging?
Yes, I have a Debug.txt file selected as usual, if that is what you are asking. So yes, all the profiling is done and saved to text file.
That’s weird… Just curious – does it happen if you will use old-style replaying of plugin profile through Plugin Registration Tool? Unfortunately I have no ideas…
Works fine using the external plugin profiler. I have been doing this for years but got really excited if it could be done directly in VS. I tried to install the developer toolbox into VS2017 but that has the bug on VS project open, it wipes half the crmregistry xml file which a lot of people have had the same issues. I can try to debug in VS2017 just to see if this is a VS or extension issue.
Do you use VS 2017 or VS 2015? I use it in VS 2015 and it works fine for me. Looks like VS 2017 is not supported yet – https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=DynamicsCRMPG.MicrosoftDynamicsCRMDeveloperToolkit only VS 2012/2013/2015 are supported.
I am using VS2015. I was attempting to repeat the same rest in VS2017 but haven’t had a chance due to the other incompatibility issues.
That’s really weird. I would suggest to leave your feedback here – https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=DynamicsCRMPG.MicrosoftDynamicsCRMDeveloperToolkit#review-details and create an isuue report here – https://community.dynamics.com/crm/f/117?pi53308=0&category=Development%20/%20Customization%20/%20SDK%20